Terre Haute News
Indiana Central News
Terre Haute, Indiana
Terre Haute, Indiana
See ICN Slideshow
The Top 5
1. Coronavirus pandemic -- https://www.indianacentralnews.com/terre-haute-news/first-case-of-coronavirus-confirmed-in-vigo-county
In March, Union Hospital in Terre Haute announced the first case of COVID-19. Today, Vigo County has 9, 109 positive cases and 142 deaths, according to the Indiana State Department of Health. Across the state of Indiana, the total positve cases reported is 496, 306 and 7,539 deaths to date.
2. Black Lives Matter ptotests in May --- https://www.indianacentralnews.com/terre-haute-news/hundreds-of-local-demonstrators-protest-police-brutality
When George Floyd was killed by police in Minnesota, demonstrators rallied for justice and a stop for police brutality all across the nation.
3. Federal executions resume after 17 years, July -- https://www.indianacentralnews.com/terre-haute-news/federal-death-row-inmates-in-th-to-be-executed-as-ordered
Executions in the United States resumed after nearly two decades. Several inmates on death row were put to death at the federal prison in Terre Haute in 2020.
4. Christmas Eve murder -- https://www.indianacentralnews.com/terre-haute-news/th-man-wanted-for-murder-of-woman-found-dead-christmas-day
The Vigo County Sheriff's Office discovered a dead body in a storage unit Christmas Day. Investigation revealed she was killed the day before the discovery. The suspect, Philip Atterson, 29, was taken into custody Dec. 28 in Johnson County on the Vigo Co. warrant for murder.
5. Fatal shooting at Kroger parking lot in July. https://www.indianacentralnews.com/terre-haute-news/shooter-in-custody-after-injuring-1-in-supermarket-parking-lot
Sean Martin, 29, of Riley, died after being transported to the hospital. No charges filed in shooting officials say was over road rage.
Other important stories of 2020:
1. Valentina "Tina" Delva, of Indianapolis, was a passenger in a vehicle, when police say she was fatally shot during a large, off- campus college party.
2. Kacie Hartbank was found mudered in her home on Fourth Avenue in September.
Her boyfriend, Floyd L. "Spanky" Cheesman, 43, of West Terre Haute, allegedly killed the woman during a fight about her not responding to his phone calls. He was booked into the Vigo County Jail and charged with murder, auto theft, fraud and theft.
3. Kristen Gregg, 27, of Terre Haute, died at the hospital , after reportedly suffering a gunshot wound to the chest in December.
Steven W. Rickard, 33, of 1434 Grand Avenue , was arrested. He is charged with reckless homicide, serious violent felon in possession of a firearm and possession of methamphetamine.
4. Wabash Avenue fire December- The blaze destroyed several businesses at S. 17th Street and Wabash Avenue.
© Indiana Central News. All rights reserved. Terre Haute, Indiana
News Writer: Lucy Perry